Monday, April 11, 2016

Long O

I did a fun phonics lesson today that I felt very good about when reflecting on it. The concept was long o vs. short o.

Last week I observed that some students were really struggling with differentiating between between the two sounds.

I created frog (short o) and toad (long o) containers. I also made fly cards with different long and short o words. Students were split up into groups and took turns choosing cards to feed to either the frog or toad.


When the groups finished they returned and we did a whiteboard review as a class. I created a PowerPoint game with the same features of the physical activity they completed.

The students were so engaged and I was very happy with the outcomes.

This entire week I am getting the opportunity to teach phonics lesson that are separate from the book curriculum. This gives me the opportunity to really use my creativity and try out different ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment