Tuesday, April 12, 2016

STEM Fairy Tales

I am super excited about this post! Yesterday I began my unit, STEM Fairy Tales. For the entire week I am reading a fairy tale to the class and they will do a STEM activity to accompany the book. Yesterday I read The Three Little Pigs. Students then broke up into groups to "build a house for the fourth pig, Sister Pig" using toothpicks, straws or paper. Each group then gave their house the Wolf Test (aka: a hairdryer) to see if it would withstand the huffing and puffing and blowing down of the house. This was so much fun and the students were so engaged. Although some passed the test, I wouldn't say any of my students are prepared to by architects or carpenters.

Today I read Jack and The Beanstalk. After the story the students received their own "Magic" bean and we planted them in plastic cups using just water and a paper towel. We decorated the cups with a cloud and a castle at the top. We talked about germination and what beans need to grow (light and water). I'm hoping that in a couple days we will see some sprouts!

Tomorrow, it is on to Henny Penny!





No comments:

Post a Comment