Thursday, March 17, 2016

Lesson Intermission

March 16, 2016

With such a large class I have noticed that most of the instruction throughout the day is whole group. This can be a challenge for 1st graders. I have noticed that my teacher has a great method of breaking up the lessons and getting the students out of their seats.

She has a few games that she will turn to. So far I have seen Sparkle (a spelling review game) and Around the World (a sight word or math facts game). What I really like about these are that they are reviewing skills in a fun way. Students are learning and they think they are just playing a game.

Another way she splits up the day is by transitioning the class back to the carpet and reading a book to them. In my opinion, students can not be read to enough (especially if they are not receiving this enrichment at home). A few times already she has let me do the read alouds!

This is definitely a great tool to keep in mind if I have a large class that gets antsy sitting at their desks too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment