Sunday, March 20, 2016

St. Patrick's Day

March 17, 2016

Happy St. Patty's Day!

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Salem is a holiday celebrating school. Many school districts are no longer able to celebrate "religious based" holidays anymore. Not that St. Patrick's is, but since today was a holiday I am going to discuss the whole concept.

In elementary schools students are aware of the holidays going on, however, they are not aware of why they cannot celebrate in school. In my personal opinion I love holidays. I enjoy the crafts, I enjoy the tasty and creative treats, the happiness, the dressing up, the list goes on.  I also think that holidays can present a great learning opportunity for students.

  • Look into the history/background of the day
  • Create learning activities based on the holiday
    • Leveled readers
    • Writing prompts
    • Math problems with real world connections
Today we listened to Irish music, had a St. Patrick's themed writing prompt and the students were introduced to a vocabulary list with words that matched the holiday. The kids and teachers both enjoyed the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment