Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Sarcasm

I am an extremely sarcastic individual. Since being in the classroom it has been a constant struggle for me to turn that sarcasm off. At least once a day I let it slip. Is this a big deal...no, it's not like I'm talking about profanity or anything of that sort. However, the issue is that my students have no idea that I am being sarcastic.

I am not exaggerating when I say that they take everything that comes out of my mouth completely seriously. This isn't a bad thing though. Student's should trust their teachers. What makes me nervous is that my use of sarcasm will weaken that trust bond I have worked so hard to form.

Many times I have caught myself when I am about to answer sarcastically to students and I switch my reply to an actual answer. Immediately after I give my sarcastic replies I feel so bad looking at the concerned and confused looks on my students faces. If I was with older students this would definitely not be as major of an issue, but first grade students just do not understand. I don't think I am the only one that struggles with this issue. I know that it is something I need to work on and I think in time I will be better at stopping the words before they come out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment